September 1982-June 1985
- New York University, Brooklyn College, New York City, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Long Island University, CW Post College, Brookville, N. Y.
Major: Educational Administration
M.S., September 1968
- Adelphi University, Garden City, N.Y.
Major: Speech Pathology and Audiology
B.A., June 1966
- St. John’s University, Queens, N.Y.
1982 - 1999 Saint Francis de Sales School for the Deaf, Brooklyn, NY.
Supervisor of Speech & Hearing Services
- Supervision and evaluation of 12 Speech and language therapists, 2 Audiologists, 1 Audiotechnician,
- Coordination of Curriculum Development for the Speech Department
- Coordination of Parent Workshops
- Intake Speech & Language Evaluations
- Coordination of Cochlear Implant Program
- Multidisciplinary Team member
- Administer & Organize School Phonics Program
- Budgeting for and purchase of equipment, instructional material and supplies
- Student Teacher and Intern supervision
- Coordination of Computer Data Base & use of MacSchool Program
- Technology Committee Chairperson
1967 - 1982 Saint Francis de Sales School for the Deaf , Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Speech & articulation training, auditory training, speechreading development for hearing impaired students
- Classroom teacher (3 years)
- Part time supervision
1994- 2000 NY City Board of Education, HHVI
- Provide Bilingual Assessments (English/Sign) for deaf students ages 3-21
- Develop Individualized Education Plan
2000-2009 Margaretville Central School, Margaretville, N.Y.
Chairperson, Committee on Special Education/Committee on Preschool Special Education (CSE/CPSE)
- Prepare agendas,
- Schedule meetings of CSE and CPSE
- Serve as district liason to BOCES as it relates to any district handicapped child
- Process all special transportation requirements
- Process necessary forms to generate income from all sources
- Maintain all CSE records
- Prepare budget data
- Prepare reports for the Board of Education as needed
- Oversee and administer Special Education IEP's,
2009-present WIOX 91.3 FM Community Radio, Roxbury, NY
Office Manager/Program Host
- Manage daily office operation
- Maintain station budget and expensesc
- Order and maintain supplies and equipment
- Maintain and keep record of the Public File as required by the FCC
- Communicate with staff and outside sources
- Develop and manage the station web site
1983 - 2000 Saint Joseph’s College, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Adjunct Senior Lecturer- Speech Department
- Anatomy & Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism
- Auditory Training and Speechreading
September 1980 - June 1985, New York University, New York, New York
Adjunct Instructor- Department of Deafness Rehabilitation
- Principles of Speech Development in Hearing Impaired Children
- Practicum in Speech Development
September 1984 - June 1985 Hunter College, New York, New York
Adjunct Lecturer- Department of Special Ed.
- Development of Speech in the Deaf Child
New York State Association of Educators of the Deaf (Honorary Lifetime Member)
Vice President (1975-1976)
Convention Proceedings Chairperson (1970)
Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf
A.G. Bell Association for the Deaf
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
Certifications and Licenses
- Permanent NY State Certification in School Administration and Supervision
- Permanent NY State Certification to Teach the Speech and Hearing Handicapped
- New York State License in Speech & Language Pathology (#1081)
- Council on Education of the Deaf Certification in Speech
- Council on Education of the Deaf Certification in Administration & Supervision
Publications and Presentations
Martello, A. and Kretschmer, R., Developing a Functional Coding- Screening Program: Implications and Relationship to Action-
Based Research. The Volta Review. Vol. 98. No. 6 November, 1997
Martello, A. and Kretschmer, R., Developing a Test to Predict Encoding Abilities in Deaf Children (Unpublished Paper)
Presented at the International Reading Association Convention. May, 1997.
Martello, A. and Kretschmer R., Developing a Test to Predict Encoding Abilities (Unpublished Paper) Presented at the New
York State Association of Educators of the Deaf Convention. November, 1996.
Martello, A. Total Communication, An Invisible Philosophy (Unpublished Paper) presented at the American Speech and Hearing
Association Convention. June,1996.
Martello, A. and Kretschmer, R., Development of a School Wide Encoding Program Paper presented at the AG Bell
Convention. Rochester, June 1994
Kretschmer, R and Martello, A. Developing a Test for Predicting Phonologic Abilities (CAID Proceedings) Presented at the
CAID Convention. Baltimore, June 1993
Martello, A. and Grunblatt, H. A Workable Auditory Skills Development Program (Unpublished Paper) Presented at the New
York state Educators of the Deaf Convention. October, 1986
Martello, A., Hymowitz, E., Sandoval, S., and Webb, K. Reaching Parents at a Crucial Moment (Unpublished Paper) Presented
at the AG Bell International Convention. June, 1986
Martello, A. A systematic Analysis of Play Production (Unpublished Paper) Presented at the Convention of American
Instructors of the Deaf. June, 1983
Martello, A., Kaplin, R., and Schwartz, D., Developmental Speech Programs at Three Schools for the Deaf. (Unpublished
Paper) Presented at the New York State Speech, Language and Hearing Association Convention. April, 1983.
Martello, A. A Systematic Approach to Teaching Speech. Focus on Infusion, CAID Proceedings. Vol. 2, 1983
Schmidt, J., Soloman, L., Hochberg, I., and Martello, A., Modifications of Classroom Speech Training. Journal of the Academy
of Rehabilitative Audiology. Vol. XIV. Fall, 1981, Monograph.
Martello, A. The Ling Approach to Teaching Speech. The Volta Review. Vol. 71, No. 6 December, 1981
Lesser, R. and Martello, A., Instant Color Photography for Teaching Deaf Children. Medical and Biological Illustration. Vol. 20,
No. 2. April, 1970.
Martello, A. and Lesser, R., A New Speech Program. The Volta Review. Vol. 71, No. 6. September, 1979
Available upon request